Pages

Translate

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tools that Change the way we Think


Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, I have now become a beacon of instant information. I want information, and I want it now. No longer am I content with waiting even a day to learn something. Heck, even waiting minutes for the Internet to load up gets me agitated and don't even mention things like cookies or ads. However, it also has expanded my circle of things I'm interested in. Business and how it operates, global events, economics, those are things I never would've gotten into had it not been for the Internet, as books and magazines aren't nearly as in-depth nor as interesting as articles on the Internet. As for my memory, things have not really changed. Back in the 3rd grade, I was obsessed with baseball. Even now, I'm obsessed with baseball. And I'm obsessed with data and number crunching. I can still tell you how many home runs (660) Willie Mays has along with his career batting average (.302). I can tell you how many wins Cy Young has (511) as well as Walter Johnson (417) followed by Christy Mathewson and Grover Cleveland Alexander (373). As my parents put it, I remember the most useless information possible. And I still do. I remember quotes and who said them ("'Tis great we have this horrible war less people should grow fond of it' - Robert E Lee), and certain Latin phrases (Veni, Vidi, Vici or Qui Audet Adisicipitur). Are any of them really practical? No, but I remember them, and I will continue to remember them thanks to the Internet. However, that also has an impact in my ability to concentrate. I am very easily distracted. I am also very easily intrigued. Not a great combination for someone who uses the Internet. I also want to learn new things, which also doesn't and hasn't boded well with me, as the Internet has almost unlimited information available to be digested and read. So, this leads to me sleeping later than I would like to, but also learning much more information than I would normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment